1821 Land Lottery
1821 Land Lottery in Georgia
Authority: Act of May 15, 1821 (1821 ex Ga. Laws p. 4)
Date of Drawing: November 7, 1821 - December 12, 1821
- Dooly: 16 districts (1-16)
- Fayette: 4 districts (6,7,9,14)
- Henry: 18 districts (1-18)
- Houston: 16 districts (1-16)
- Monroe: 15 districts (1-15)
- 37 undrawn lots remaining from the 1820 lottery
Size of Land Lots
- All new (1821) counties: 202 ½ acres
Person Entitled to Draw
- Bachelor, 18 years or older, 3-year residence in Georgia, 3-year citizen United States – 1 draw
- Married man with wife or son under 18 years or unmarried daughter, 3-year residence in Georgia, 3-year citizen United States – 2 draws
- Widow, 3-year residence in Georgia – 1 draw
- Family of minor orphans, father dead, 3-year residence in Georgia – 1 draw
- Family (one or two) of orphans, father and mother dead – 1 draw
- Family (three or more) of orphans, father and mother dead – 2 draws
- Widow, husband killed or died in War of 1812, or Indian War, 3-year residence in Georgia – 2 draws
- Minor orphan, father killed or died in War of 1812, or Indian War – 2 draws
- Child or family of children of a convict, 3-year residence in Georgia – entitled in the same manner as orphans
- Any fortunate drawer in any previous land lottery.
- Citizens of the state who volunteered or were legally drafted during the War of 1812 or Indian War and refused to serve a tour of duty in person or by substitute.
- Any convict in the penitentiary.
- Any tax defaulter or absconder for debt.
How do I find the names of the winners?
- The Third and Fourth or 1820 and 1821 Land Lotteries of Georgia, [comp. by Silas Emmett Lucas Jr.]. (Easley, S.C.: Georgia Genealogical Reprints/Southern Historical Press, 1973).
- The Fourth or 1821 Land Lottery of Georgia, comp by Silas Emmett Lucas Jr.. (Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1986).