Records Center Transfer Procedures
Review the records retention schedule that authorizes transfer of the records. Agency Records Management Officer maintains official agency file of records retention schedules approved by the State Records Committee. Agency records may not be removed from offices except as provided by the Georgia Records Act.
- The State Records Center only accepts double walled, one cubic foot boxes with handles. Contact Records Center staff if the records will not fit in one cubic foot boxes.
- Pack boxes/containers. The Records Center staff suggest that clients have a content listing for each box to aid in the retrieval of records. The content listing remains with the agency.
- Prepare separate “Records Center Transmittal Form” Records Center Transmittal Form Updated for each records series.
- Sign form and enter the date that the transfer form was prepared.
- Send completed Transmittal Form to Agency Records Management Officer for approval.
Records Management Officer
- Determine that the information on the Transmittal Form is correct. Use “Checklist” to check information.
- Sign form and enter approval date.
- Copy original transfer form and file copy in pending transmittal file.
- Send original transfer form to State Records Center.
State Records Center
- Verify information on Transmittal Form. If errors, return with cover form listing errors.
- Assign each series a unique consignment number.
- Input destruction date and information from Transmittal Form into computerized database.
- Write consignment number on Transmittal Form and e-mail the front page of the form to the agency RMO.
Records Management Officer/Records Custodian
- Write consignment number and box number on the broad side of each box.
- Contact Wayne Harrison (email@example.com) to schedule pick up or delivery of the records.
State Records Center
- Verify that all records are included when picking up records from clients or when clients deliver records to the State Records Center. Note any discrepancies.
- Sign and date the Transmittal Form.
- Assign locations to the records upon their arrival at the State Records Center.
- Print and place labels on boxes.
- Email agency RMO first page of Transmittal Form with signatures and Box Verification Report showing the box locations to the agency RMO.